Monday, November 23, 2015

Non-Traditional Material

~If We Burn You Burn With Us~
For my non traditional material I used candle wax and fire. My idea was to make the mocking jay symbol from the famous series, The Hunger Games. My favorite book from the series was the second, Catching Fire. In Catching Fire, Katniss, the main character, is seen as a symbol for winning the Hunger Games. Her symbol is the Mockingjay pin and she is called the girl on fire. I thought making a stencil out of the Mockingjay pin would be an awesome start. Once I got started on that I thought of different materials I could use to "paint" it on. Wax first came to mind because its somewhat easy to work with and it stays packed on. I used orange wax for the entire base but thought it needed more. Then I burned red and yellow crayons and dripped them over the orange base to create a more elaborate look. After all that was done I still thought something was missing..... FIRE. I wanted to burn my piece because of the Catching Fire symbol. After the bottom edges were burned and there were burn marks all up the sides of the board, I thought it was perfect... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment