Thursday, September 27, 2012

value portraits

Value Portraits Art Critique

                                                                                                                                                        
Self evaluation (must write at least 3 sentences for each question)
1. Explain the process you went through to develop your drawing.
There were pictures scattered out on the board and they were turned over. One by one each of us had to go up there and pick out a picture of someone. Once I had gotten my picture, I had to find all the values in it in order to draw the picture accuretely. Then having found the values, I flipped the tracing sheet over and drew with a really dark pencil all over every mark I had just made on the other side. Then I just had to put the image down on my sketching paper and redraw the value marks. Then I shaded with my pencil according to the light and dark values.
2. Explain how you found the different values in the portrait?
First I put a tracing sheet over the picture of Andrew and circled every light and dark elements I saw. It helped if I stood with the paper on the widow so the light would shine through and I could see the values better. Once I had my light and dark values spotted out, I traced it into my sketchbook. Since we have made portable value charts, I could look off that and know how light or hard my pressure has to be with my pencil. I had to look at the picture and back at the value chart to get the right amount of values.
3.  Did you achieve a full range of the different values within your portrait?  How?
I had some very dark, black shades going to very light, white shades so I believe I did achieve a full range of value. My value chart helped determine the inbetween shades of grey and made my sketch to be much more realistic. I could compare the value chart with my picture to point out the places with the same shade and determine how much pressure to put on my pencil.
4. Describe your craftsmanship.  Is the artwork executed and crafted neatly?
I am slow, very very slow. It took me forever to finish up just the values as everyone else was already shading. But that's alright because I take my time on pretty much everything, it makes me feel like i'm doing a good job. It is crafted neatly and there are'nt stranded lines all over the paper. The shades are accurate for the most part and I think I did well on this project.
5. List any obstacles you had to overcome and how you dealt with them.
I had a problem right after I transfered the value marks to my sketchbook because I had made the marks way to dark. The dark, annoying marks were obvious at the  parts where I had to shade lighter on my sketch. To fix the problem, I borrowed someone's kneaded easer and it seemed to come right off of my paper. The easer worked well so I was able to shade lighter without dark marks bleeding through.

No comments:

Post a Comment